Monday, July 9, 2007

You know you're getting old when you list your son as your emergency contact

Getting ready for an eye exam, I was filling out the forms and came to the Emergency Contact Field (someone other than your spouse living at a different address). I have usually listed one of my sisters, but then I thought: why not Alex -- he's employed, owns a house, a hybrid car and is certainly more stable then I am. So a new first in the aging process: listing your son as the 'emergency contact'. Of course, soon enough he'll be driving me to all of these doctor appointments .

Which reminds me - why do I have to keep filling out forms with information that already exists in electronic format? My day job consists of writing software that transfers information from one computer to another and I even wrote a module specifically to transfer medical documents while adhering to HIPPA (privacy) guidelines - Holy Inefficiency Batman! - and folks wonder why health care costs keep going up.

No comments: