Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tenative set lists for Dulono's Mar 21-22

While Lynn was at a church committee meeting, I spend some time last night creating set lists for our two nights at Dulono's this weekend (Fri-Sat 8-midnight).
Although we haven't learned any brand new songs, we did revive a few for our church show in February and the 'Spotlight on Longevity' set with Phil Nusbaum at the MBOTMA winter weekend. As well, we may attempt another fiddle-mandolin medley from our folk-band.

Thus new material that we didn't perform at Dulono's on January 4th:

Life is Like a Mountain Railroad: we considered, but did not perform at the Longevity set. We learned this from a Green Briar Boys LP in the early 70s and often sang at jams.

Last Thing on My Mind: A Tom Paxton song we've both known since our college days (in the '60s) for the Longevity set, we performed in the folky way with finger style guitar. We've come up with a flat pick version that is hopefully light and somewhat detached...

Bramble and the Rose: we learned this from Jody Stecher and Kate Brislin's version. We're changing the ending a little bit, but otherwise it is very close to what they do.

Sally Gardens: this is one that we revived our recording project. A traditional Irish tune that I worked out an finger style (almost classical) instrumental - then found the words from the Yeats book that we both owned from the Modern Poetry Class we both took in the Spring of 1967.

When the Work's all Done This Fall: this is one we considered for the Jan set, but I wasn't too enthused. I learned this from Doc Watson long ago and have varied the guitar treatment over time (from finger picking to flatpicking). Some recent CDs of 78s that I've put on my IPod have early versions of this including one called 'The Dixie Cowboy' and another in 3/4 time. Although I'm not sure that either of these feature the mandolin, I started thinking that switching from guitar to mandolin might make me a bit more enthusiastic and it has. It also is a really cheap way to add another mandolin song to our repertoire.

50 Mile of Elbow Room: one of our few gospel songs. We originally learned a version to perform with our church bluegrass band from Iris Dement. More recently, Lynn and I performed it using Norman and Nancy Blake's version as a model. At the last church talent show in February, we played the new version with the Hot Dish String Band.

Yamina / Angilina Baker: part of a dance medley that we play at Danebod Folk Camp. Yamina is one of the first tunes I ever wrote, Anginal Baker, of course, is traditional.

Everything else on the set list is something we played at the Jan Dulono's gig. I've mixed things up a bit, so if you came at the same time slice both nights (say 8-10) you won't hear a lot of duplicates. I've invited a few guest musicians - most are out of town, but a harmonica player (from my very first high school folk trio) may show up. Depending on if he plays, we'd probably do some things out of order. We'll probably change a few things as we go over it in the next couple days as well.

Here they are :


Dulono’s Fri
Set A -
1 I Ain’t Gonna Work Tomorrow
2 Oh Lord Won’t You Help Me
3 Bear Creek Blues
4 One More Dollar
5 Wild Bill Jones
6 When First Unto this Country
7 Going to the West
8 Muddy Creek
9 Milwaukee Blues
10 More Pretty Girls Than One
11 Bramble and the Rose
12 Swedish – Xander’s tune
13 Ragtime Annie
14 Sleepy Desert
15 Otto Wood
16 You’ve Been That Friend to Me

Set B -
1 Liza Jane
2 Poor Ellen Smith
3 Handsome Molly
4 Billy Grey
5 Last Gold Dollar
6 If I Lose, Let Me Lose
7 John Hardy
8 Mighty Mississippi, The Story of
9 Charmin’ Betsy
10 / Babbington’s
11 Lonesome Pine Special
12 East Virginia Blues
13 I’m Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes
14 I Truly Understand

Set C -
1 Sweet Heaven When I Die
2 Blue Railroad Train
3 Dear Companion
4 Mountain Railroad
5 The Baltimore Fire
6 Train on the Island
7 Swedish - Schottis efter Roger Alexander
8 Radio Joe
9 Sally Garden
10 Green Grows the Laurel
11 When the Work’s All Done this Fall
12 (Jig set) Swallowtail / 100 Pipers
13 Little Annie
14 My Old Cottage Home





Dulono’s Sat

Set A -
1 Lonesome Pine Special
2 East Virginia Blues
3 Blue Railroad Train
4 John Hardy
5 When First Unto this Country
6 Charmin’ Betsy
7 / Babbington’s
8 Sally Gardens
9 The Baltimore Fire
10 Train on the Island
11 Swedish - Schottis efter Roger Alexander
12 Radio Joe
13 One More Dollar
14 Dear Companion
15 Little Annie
16 My Old Cottage Home

Set B -
1 Sweet Heaven When I Die
2 Broken Hearted Love (I’ve been dream..)
3 Last Thing on My Mind
4 Poor Ellen Smith
5 Handsome Molly
6 Liza Jane
7 Otto Wood
8 Last Gold Dollar
9 Bear Creek Blues
10 When the Work’s All Done this Fall
11 Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine
12 Billy Grey
13 I Truly Understand
14 You’ve Been That Friend to Me

Set C -
1 I Ain’t Gonna Work Tomorrow
2 Billy Grey
3 I’m Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes
4 Going to the West
5 Yamina / Anglina Baker
6 Milwaukee Blues
7 More Pretty Girls Than One
8 Wild Bill Jones
9 Mighty Mississippi, The Story of
10 Oh Lord Won’t You Help Me
11 Sleepy Desert
12 Swedish – Xander’s tune
13 Mountain Railroad
14 50 Miles of Elbow Room

No comments: