Wednesday, December 10, 2008

New 'new' songs

In a previous post, I went over some 'new' songs that we played at our gigs in November; however, I have also started to look at some other songs. Lynn and I have started to work out arrangements and I'm hoping that a couple of them might be ready for our Dulono's gig in January. But at the moment they are definitely works in progress:

The Rambling Boy:

This is from the Carter Family - I was struck by Maybelle's guitar part, so I tackled that first. There is a slight 'swing' rhythm with almost a triplet feel. They do it in G with Sara singing the lead but in 3 part harmony for most of the song. At times AP's and Maybelle's voices are stronger than Sara, so it made it a little hard to pick out the actual melody. But with some help from Lynn and using the guitar interludes I came up with a melody line that makes sense to me. Initially I pitched it in F playing in the C position with the Capo at the 5th fret. When I started going over the song with Lynn, we slid it up to F#, but she couldn't get her guitar part to sound right (playing in D at 4th fret). We finally tried in G with my guitar capoed at the 7th fret while Lynn is playing open. This is a combination I've seen other duos used, but the first time that we've had our capo's that far apart: we like the sound and it turns out that once again I am singing in the same key as Sara Carter. I also have a version by the New Lost City Ramblers that appears to be based on the Carter family version, although they have straigtened the rhythm and to my ear, have a less interesting melody. They also changed the last verse to something more bland, here's what the Carter family (and we) sing:

Now when I die, don't bury me at all
Just place me away in alcohol
My forty-four laying by my feet
Please tell them I am just asleep

However, I did find words in the New City Ramblers version that I am using instead of some Carter family words that I found 'problematic'. A version of the lyrics that is close to what we do is here.

Joan Baez also does a version she calls 'the Rake and Rambling boy' and from Wikipedia I found that the original source is from an Irish song: Newry Highwayman which dates to the 1830s.

The Highway Man:

This is a Charley Poole Song with a 'ragged waltz' rhythm. It's a variant of "Slack your rope, Hangman" which Lynn and I remember from the 60's folk era. Both the Kingston Trio and Peter, Paul and Mary had versions of 'Hangman' and Lynn said she used to do it as well.

However, The Highway Man has a different melody and dispenses with all the relatives: only two verses refer to 'paying the fee'. Lyle Lofgren's article describing Pool's version and origins is here. This original 'original' source is the Child ballad #95 which is found here.

It was mostly the tune and fiddle part that got me first thinking about the song and it wasn't until I was learning the lyrics that I figured out the 'Hangman, slack your rope' relationship. We're keeping in the key of C and Lynn is playing fiddle throughout.

Louis Collins:

This a Mississippi John Hurt song which I first thought about doing after hearing a version by Lucinda Williams on a tribute album. I have two versions by Mississippi John Hurt, one from around 1928, the other from about 1963 after he was rediscovered during the 'folk revival'. I've ended up using the words from the 1928 version, but I raised the key to E-flat (Capo on 3 using the C position). So far I'm finger-picking it but not trying to exactly replicate his version. I worked on it once or twice with Lynn but we're a ways from coming up with a performance version. This should be a nice contrast to some of our usual old-time songs.

Cannonball Blues:

The Carter Family recorded two versions of this: one where AP is singing the 'lead', the other with Sarah. A few years ago, before I heard the Carter Family versions, I started to learn a variant called 'Solid Gone' by Doc Watson, but never ended up doing much with it. There is also a youtube version with Sarah and Maybelle (from the 1960s?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFyGPNmOvI.

I knew of AP's version first and since it was singable for me in 'F', I started working out a 12-string arrangement - instrumentally, the breaks contain a 'bridge' followed by the melody: this meant that there was about a 2 to one ratio of guitar-breaks to vocal. At some point after I started learning this I heard a couple of local groups do it. The Mill City Grinders move it to a string band setting with banjo and fiddle but otherwise follow AP's version. A number of months later I heard a version by The Roe Family Singers. This had an additional verse or two and Kim was playing the washboard so it had a rollicky-rhythm: I don't recall the rest of the arrangement. After their set, I was talking to Quillan and Kim and Quillan clued me in to the youtube video of Sarah and Maybelle.

Then a couple of months ago, I was walking and listening to my IPod on shuffle and I finally heard the version that Sarah recorded a few years after the AP version (in the 1930's) which had additional verses. So lately I've been working on learning that version and have played it a few times with Lynn. We seem to be sticking to the 12-string with Lynn on guitar (6-string capoed 3 playing in D position) and full duet harmony throughout. The 'bridge' is still there but only done every other verse: the instrumental and vocal are more balanced.

In all 3 Carter Family versions, Maybelle is finger-picking with the melody on the treble strings. For the 12 string, I use finger picks, but I'm using the thumb for the melody notes (this is the typical way I play 'old-time' 12-string).

Both Lynn and I think this is a fun song to do and we can't wait to perform it (once we actually learn it!)

No comments: